Saturday, June 26, 2010

When is a Dragonfly not a Dragonfly?

When it's a damselfly. I've spent the last few days working on my newest project, a damselfly, that I've wrongly and repeatedly referred to as a dragonfly. Simplified, a typical dragonfly's eyes are close together and appear to touch; their rear wings are smaller than their fore wings. A damselfly's eyes are separated; their fore wings and rear wings are similar in appearance and approximately the same length. So now we both know the basic differences. 


My damselfly is based on a typical blue male but I haven't done his colors justice. And I seem to have reversed his wing structure when I made the pattern and glued the pieces on the stepping stone. arrrghhhh... I HATE when that happens!


The flat plane of the wing is on top and the bottom side of the wing is fuller and more curved. Nothing I can do about it now, of course, but lesson learned. Next time I will get it right. Also, instead of the solid piece of mirror glass, I will break it down and incorporate smaller pieces into the wing detail. I changed direction in the middle of this project and did so with unsatisfactory results; at least as far as I'm concerned anyway. Because I know the faults in this piece, I'm not thrilled with it but hope that the final results will turn out better than I expect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment