Monday, June 14, 2010

Looking for New Inspiration

When you're at a loss for an idea and you see someone's mosaic dog, cat or pink elephant is it considered "inspiration" or "theft" if you decide to make one as well? You know full well that what you create isn't going to be anything like theirs. It's the concept that you're inspired by, not the actual pink elephant itself. Sometimes I feel a tad bit guilty for taking another person's concept and creating my own vision of it. Original concepts or ideas are difficult to come up with, though. Most of the time, you'll find it's already been done, a quick search and you'll see what I mean.

Speaking of... I often spend hours looking at pictures on the image search page. Even if someone has already used my idea, I still look through the pictures to see if anyone came close to what I visualized. Other times, I'll plug in a word - summer, for instance - and then start combing through the pictures for something that jumps out at me that I can turn into a mosaic. Saturday afternoon was Rose Window day. I saved copies of some of my favorites and I'll study them for a while. There's no rush; I have a long way to go before I could even attempt a Rose Window of any kind. 

Inspiration is wherever you find it. Just be inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment